Reading Your New Water Meter
YOUR WATER METER WAS REPLACED AND UPGRADED WITH A NEW METER THAT ALLOWS THE CITY TO OBTAIN READINGS REMOTELY. PLEASE FOLLOW THESE IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING WATER:
- After the completion of your water meter replacement, turn on the cold water in a bath tub or faucet in the highest elevation in your home.
- Allow the water to run until the water is clear and free of air (initial water may be discolored and contain minimal debris). The water is perfectly safe to use.
- Once the water is clear and there are no flow disruptions, you are now ready to use all water faucets in your home.
*Please inspect the area around the water meter within the next 24 hours to notify us of any concerns.
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to make this appointment. Baystate Winsupply Co.: 1-866-983-8080
How to Read your New Water Meter
The following image displays your new water meter register:
Expose the solar panel to sunlight or shine a bright flashlight and the display will activate. When activated, the LCD display will first show a segmented test:
This screen will be followed by the display of the E-Coder’s manufacturing configuration, followed by (2) screens:
Reading shows the current read in gallons, with comma separators and decimal place. After initial activation this screen displays for 20 seconds before toggling to the “Flow Rate” screen.
Flow Rate, in gallons per minute, becomes visible when the screen toggles. This screen displays for four seconds before toggling back to the “Read” screen.
Indicator Reference Guide:
Calculating your Sewer Bill from the water meter
Sewer is based on 100% of metered water consumption (if connected to city water). The bill is calculated in Units. A unit is 1 CCF or 100 Cubic Feet.
- If your metered water usage is between 0-3 Units you are billed the minimum monthly charge.
- For consumption over 3 units you are billed by the number of units used by the current rate.
- If you are not connected to city water, and have not purchased a meter to calculate your well usage from the Fitchburg Water Division, then you are billed the monthly sewer charge
Example using the 2019 rates:
The last months reading was taken for water/sewer at 1253 and the current months reading was taken for 1258. Subtracting 1253 from 1258 you will get a current usage at 5 Units.
As 5 units is above the 3 unit minimum charge of $21.99 you will need to calculate your bill based on the rate per unit of $8.51
Multiply 5 (Units Used) x $8.51 (Current Rate per unit in 2019) = $42.55 current sewer bill.
Please be aware this example is using the rates from 2019. Each year the rates can go up or down. Please see the the current rates to verify the current rate per unit, the minimum monthly charge and the Monthly Sewer Only Charge. Please see the next tab for upcoming approved rate changes.
Visit Current Rates for information about the current sewer rates.